Configuring Inventory Levels
You can configure if and how Handshake displays inventory levels on the Account Settings page on the web.
Inventory Levels has five configuration options:
- Inventory Levels: Controls whether any inventory level information appears on catalog and order screens.
- Simple Stock Levels: Controls how much inventory level information is disclosed. When this setting is on, numerical inventory levels are hidden, but items are still visibly marked as in or out-of-stock with a red warning tag.
- Available To Sell: Controls how Handshake treats quantities on in-progress orders. When on, Handshake treats quantities as taken as soon as they're added to an order, deducting such quantities from the available total display to all users. When off, Handshake uses whatever stock level is in your warehouse, ignoring in-progress orders.
- Customer Inventory: Controls how much inventory level information is disclosed to your customers when they are viewing your Handshake Direct catalog or modifying an interactive quote.
- Display Shipping Status: When enabled, your customers will be able to view the shipping status of their orders in their order history.
Importing Stock Units
Handshake stores inventory level data in structures called stock units.
You can import stock units into your account on our bulk import/export page. Click on the advanced section tab along the bottom and export out the Stock Units spreadsheet. On opening it, you'll see 7 columns of data:
- sku: the stock keeping unit identifier of the item or variant
- type: defines whether or not the line represents stock for an item or variant
- shelfQty: the current quantity of stock available on the shelf in the warehouse
- warehouse: shows to which warehouse the stock unit applies. If you have only one warehouse, this value will be "default".
- warningLevel: the shelfQty that when reached will show a red warning label or "out of stock" text for an item in the app
- isAvailable: Acts as an override for the shelfQty. Items and variants with isAvailable = 0 show the red warning label regardless of shelfQty and warningLevel, and wherever we otherwise would have displayed the numerical inventory level for that item or variant, we instead display "Not Available" or "N/A" as space permits.
- restockDate: This is directly related to the warningLevel field. If you input a restock date for a product in your catalog, the date you enter will appear when shelf quantity hits the warning level as opposed to showing "out of stock"
To add stock units, fill in the shelfQty column on this sheet, save and reimport. Please note for items with variants you do not need to fill in anything on the master item SKU, you just need to add stock to the individual item variants. If you leave a cell blank, Handshake will not create a stock unit, and the item will be treated as normal without inventory. To mark an item out of stock you need to enter a 0 in the shelfQty field.
Stock Unit Import Options
When you reimport the sheet and get to the mapping screen there are 3 new options available to select from:
- Shelf quantity mode
- Set Quantities: in this mode, the shelfQty on each imported row directly sets the shelfQty value for the relevant item or variant in Handshake.
- Add / Subtract Quantities: in this mode, Handshake adds the shelfQty value in each imported row to the relevant item or variant's current shelfQty. To lower an item or variant's current shelfQty, use a negative number (e.g. -100)
- Automatically create new warehouses: If enabled, any warehouses referenced in the import that don't already exist will be created. Otherwise, a reference to a non-existent warehouse will cause an error for the relevant row.
Once you've imported stock units you can now view this information on the Products page. In stock is a new column on the far right side. In the example below you can see 3 different stock view options:
- SKU 1000 Diamond Ring: 120 units and in stock
- SKU 109044 (has variants) Modern Wall Sconce: Some SKUs out of stock. Text and small upper right corner triangle in orange showing this warning
- SKU 109052 (has variants) Energy Efficient Light Bulbs: All SKUs in stock