Why do I need to be careful about this?
Let's say you set up your catalog and everything looks fine, so you go to trade show and start selling. Later, you realize that some of your SKUs are (gasp!) wrong. Maybe they are in lowercase when they should be in uppercase, or maybe you used the UPCs instead of the SKUs. Whatever the case, they're wrong and need to be changed.
"Why can't I just upload new spreadsheets with the SKUs changed?", you ask. If you do this, then your catalog will be correct, but previously written orders with the bogus SKUs will no longer be able to connect them to items from your catalog. That's why some care is required here.
Luckily, the SKU Remap uploader has a way of remapping old SKUs to new ones without breaking the orders that have already been written for them.
To convert old item and variant SKUs to new ones, do the following:
- From the Bulk Import / Export page of Handshake Hub, click "show advanced options".
- find the "SKU Remap" tile and click export.
- Choose the file type you want (either xlsx or csv) and then click export, then download.
- On the exported spreadsheet you'll notice 3 columns: type, old sku, and new sku.
- Find the SKU you are wanting to change in the old sku column, and then place the updated SKU in the new sku column on the same row.
- Once completed save your changes to the spreadsheet and then import the newly saved version via the SKU Remap tile on the Bulk Import / Export page.
You've probably got enough on your hands without having to worry about getting three columns of SKUs right at the same time ... so keep it to just two and make life easy on yourself :)
If you are trying to convert individual items into variants or vice versa please contact support for assistance and detailed instructions.