Custom fields makes it possible to store, capture, and display all of the data that is unique to your business in Handshake. When you have data that doesn’t match any of the standard fields of an object (e.g., items, customers, orders), you can create a custom field for that data. For example, you may want to show the country of origin for all of your products, or track which trade program your customers are participating in this year. Using custom fields you can make sure the information that the line of business, sales team, and customers need is always available at their fingertips.
Creating a Custom Field
- To create a new custom field, you first need to go to the Objects page within Handshake Hub.
- Once on the objects page, you will need to choose the object that is associated with the custom field you are creating. In the example ofadding a new field for Country of Origin labeling, you would choose the item object. If you want to add a field that tracks a customer’s trade program, you would choose the customer object.
- After choosing the object that will be associated with your new custom field, you will be taken to the object’s detailed page where you can see all of the existing fields for that object. From this page, you can also begin creating a new custom field by clicking on the “Create New Custom Field” button. A new blank line will appear at the top of the chart (i.e., “Simple Field Editor”) above the existing fields. You will use this blank line to define the characteristics of the field starting with the name you want displayed with the field in Handshake and then choosing the field type.
- Below is a description of each of the different custom field types in Handshake.
- Text: Allows users to enter any character into the field.
- Number: Allows users to enter any real number, including numbers with decimals into the custom field.
- Integer: Users must enter a whole number without any decimal points.
- Currency: Allows users to enter a currency amount. Handshake automatically formats the field as a currency amount with two decimal places.
- Pick-list: Lets users select a single value from a predetermined list of options. The list will appear as radio buttons if there are 3 or fewer choices and as a dropdown list if there are 4 or more choices.
- Datetime: Handshake will automatically add a timestamp in the field.
- URL: Allows for the entry of any valid website address. When users click on the field, the URL will open in a separate browser window.
- Relationship: Creates a field that uses another object as a reference for information to be entered into the field.
- Boolean: Provides the user with a list that only includes “Yes” or “No” as the choices to choose from.
For the example down below, we want our sales team to determine the trade program their customers will participate in during the upcoming year. We named the new field “Special Trade Program” and chose “Pick-list” as the field type.
- After deciding on the field type, you will need to determine if this is a required field. You will need to determine a default value for the field if you make it required. Depending on the type of field you choose, Handshake will prompt you to include details related to the field in the “Additional Info” section of the “Simple Field Editor.”
In the case of the new Special Trade Program field, we have decided to make that field required with a default value of Leadership Price I. We have also added all of the trade programs as Pick-list options in the “Additional Info” section and are now ready to save the new field.
- Once the new field has been saved it will automatically appear across the Handshake platform wherever the object appears in an Additional Info section. For example, the new “Special Trade Program” field will appear in Handshake Hub and Handshake Rep because those are the applications within the Handshake platform where the customer object appears. However, if this was a custom field related to orders or items, the new field would also appear on Handshake Direct Online and Handshake Direct Mobile.
To further refine any details about a new custom field, such as where it is displayed, or if you have any other questions regarding custom fields please contact Handshake Support.
Note: Image of Handshake Hub with new custom field.
Note: Image of Handshake Rep with new custom field.